Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Matrix: Technology Integration

After reviewing some of the lessons I do in all subject areas, I would like to think that I'm in the active/transformation sections of the technology integration matrix. When it comes to technology, I've always been a bit of an explorer. I'm notorious for not reading manuals and I've been to more than one conference when I inevitably end up playing with the software rather than listening to the presenter. Sure, that might occasionally lead to me asking a question that has already be answered or totally messing up something before resorting to the manual. Generally, though, this strategy has worked for me.

I tend to believe children learn in a similar way. They simply want to be digital explorers. They want to get into the programs and see exactly what they can do. I learned this pretty early in the school year with a Native American project using iMovie. I introduced the project, presented the rubric, and modeled some of the basics from iMovie. Then, I turned them loose. Considering we had only had a few weeks experience with the MacBooks, the results were nothing short of astounding.

I have since integrated a variety of digital tools to enhance what we do in the classroom. Some are as simple as study aides, such as Quizlet, while others allow us to create vibrant presentations or practice a particular concept. As the year progresses, students don't lean on me as much to provide a plethora of links to complete a particular task. They've become much more adept at finding their own resources that are not only safe but also provide the information essential to them.

From this point on, I simply want more of the same. How can I continue to expand upon my current digital use? How can I use technology is subjects where the connections are less obvious? While I never plan on ditching some of the tactics that don't involve technology that still have merit, I want to strive to incorporate it in meaningful ways as much as possible. My goal this year was using technology to assist learning on a weekly basis while completing one major project a quarter. I would love to double those projects by next year while increasing the depth of our weekly usage.

No comments:

Post a Comment